147/376 - More Eagles

Eagle in Ketchikan
“I've come to the frightening conclusioin that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized.”~Dr. Haim Ginott
__________
As the fishermen on the Aleutian Ballad were talking with the audience the captain (Derrick) was maneuvering the boat. As he got relatively close to an island the fishermen started throwing bait off the side of the boat and as they did this a flock of 30 to 40 bald eagles started circling around the side of the boat.

Eagles in Ketchikan

Everyone on the boat rushed over to the railing and started taking pictures. At one point I heard one guy cry in anguish, "I've exhausted my 2 gig card on my camera!"

Eagle in Ketchikan

At some point (we were there close to 15 or 20 minutes) I forced myself to stop taking pictures and look around with my eyes. I was nearly in tears. It was THAT cool! Throughout the week long trip we saw lots of flora but didn't end up seeing much in the way of fauna. This was one of those rare times and it was well worth the money.

No comments: