Self Portraits

So for Christmas, Diane bought me a set of "stuff" to give me better lighting options for my photography. Only problem is that either I've been too busy or not feeling creative enough to properly use them since the holidays. Now that it's spring break I decided that this would be the perfect time to really try everything out and see what I can come up with.

Now add to this that the photography blog I follow (Digital Photography School) runs a weekly challenge that I occasionally like to work on. The result? This week's challenge was self-portraits and this is the one I entered for the competition.

I like to call it "The Angry Teacher" because I'm sure my kids have seen this face on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, I probably won't win because there are literally hundreds of other entries that are far more creative than mine. I thought two others turned out pretty good and convey some sort of "feeling." You get to decide just what that feeling is!


The interesting thing about this "assignment" was just how difficult it turned out. I mean, really, it's not like you can just turn the camera around and start snapping pictures. For a true "self-portrait" you really need to have some sort of plan or idea and then try to get both the mood and lighting to match what's in your head. Needless to say, I learned a lot by working on this assignment.


I'm thinking about using this picture as my official school mug shot! My kids will just love it.

Speaking of students. During my first year of teaching I spent 8.5 months convinced that I had no clue what I was doing and that my poor students were getting absolutely NOTHING from me. Last night I checked my school email and found a note from a student from that first year. He was writing to thank me. Let me repeat, THANK ME! According to him he hated math until I started to teach it and made it fun for him. I was floored. I mean, really, much of that first year was spent in the pose shown just above and trying to figure out how I was going to get any better. Needless to say, this is now my most favorite student - of all time! Seriously, I am humbled. I've been told that you never know just how your actions are going to affect someone and in this case I would have truly guessed wrong.

My next official assignment is "portraits" of others and guess who is going to be my model? I bet you can also guess that I probably won't be allowed to post any of the pictures of her. Also, in the meantime I've been doing some table-top still life shots and as soon as I edit them I'll post an article here.

Until then...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That third one I'd like to title: Lunch Duty. :)