German Pizza? Meet Stephen!


On Monday morning we decided to leave Garmisch early and head back to Stuttgart while taking some pictures. We stopped in Ettal and thoroughly covered the monastery there. WE spent close to 1.5 hours pouring over the church and grounds. This link will take you to a picture of a confessional booth that Diane and I were very impressed with. Also, the ceiling was covered with gorgeous frescoes as seen in this picture. If you are interested in learning more about this church and monastery ask me and I'll loan you a book I bought.

After we left I mentioned that I wanted to go through Oberammergau to look at and photograph frescoes on the houses. We decided to eat lunch while there. As we entered the town Michelle said she and the kids wanted something other than German food and we passed a small place with a sign outside that said "Pizza!" After driving through town we decided to return to the pizza place and as we parked I noticed that this was a mini-golf joint and wondered just how good the pizza could be. I found out, once again, that looks can be deceiving.

The restaurant was very small and decorated with little witches all over the place. I was initially taken with the plates that were at our table. Then, when the waiter couldn't speak any English (it's impressive how many people here DO speak English) I thought, "This can't be a good sign. I mean, it's a mini-golf joint!" But when he brought the food out, it was terrific. I frankly like a thin crust and this was just right. Substantial enough to hold the toppings but not over-powering. And the spices were perfect. They really do specialize in pizza at this place. After lunch I asked to take the waiter/cook's picture and he agreed. If you are ever in Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany you need to check this place out!


After lunch we went on into town, spent some time getting pictures of the church (they do a huge Passion Play here every 10 years) and cemetery and then left. The rest of the day was spent coming home and returning the car.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Squee! Witches! I wish you'd taken pics of that!